Fruit and Vegetable Group
The Fruit and Vegetable Group is a special interest group of the Victoria Horticultural Society dedicated to the cultivation and study of the fruits and vegetables it is possible to grow in this area.
Meeting nights are 7:00 to 9:00pm on the third Tuesday of each month except December, at members’ homes. Please bring a plate of snack food to share. The 2017 meetings include a farm tour in July, a potluck picnic in August, and a potluck Christmas dinner in November.
There are no fees for attending our meetings, but it is assumed that members of the Fruit and Vegetable Group will either already be, or become, a member of the Victoria Horticulture Society. This covers us with liability insurance as well as the other benefits of VHS membership, such as attending all the VHS monthly speakers and various workshops throughout the year, use of our VHS library, our membership only newsletter with lots of plant articles and news of garden related events in the area, etc., plus invitations to visit the “Open Gardens”.
Visitors are always welcome to join us for a free meeting at either the regular VHS meeting or the Fruit and Vegetable Group (or both) to decide if you wish to participate. We are a very friendly, sociable group of gardeners who love to talk about what we are growing and how to do it. We all learn from each other. Please come to our next meeting!
The facebook page is
Resources for urban food gardening:
- Capital Region Food and Agriculture Initiative (CRFAIR) www.crfair.ca
- Haliburton Community Organic Farm, 741 Haliburton Road Victoria, 250-658-0758 http://haliburtonfarm.org/
- Compost Education Centre, 1216 North Park Street Victoria, 250-386-9676 http://compost.bc.ca
- Life Cycles Urban Agriculture Hub http://urbanagriculturehub.ca
- City Farmer, 2150 Maple Street Vancouver, 604-685-5832
http://cityfarmer.org (older site with archived material)
http://cityfarmer.info (newer site)
- Farm Folk City Folk – good information on seed production and seed saving, Vancouver, 1-888-730-0452 http://www.farmfolkcityfolk.ca
- The Urban Farmer, Powell River BC, 604-223-4800 www.theurbanfarmer.ca
- Gaia College – courses and resources, Cowichan BC, 250-709-2229 www.gaiacollege.ca
- West Coast Gardening – Linda Gilkeson www.lindagilkeson.ca
West Coast Gardening: Natural Insect, Weed and Disease Control. 2nd ed. (2013) Linda Gilkeson, New Society Publishers.
Backyard Bounty: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Organic Gardening in the Pacific Northwest (2011) Linda Gilkeson, New Society Publishers.
A Year on the Garden Path: A 52-Week Organic Gardening Guide (Revised 2nd Ed.) (2011) Carolyn Herriott, Harbour Publishing BC, and
The Zero-Mile Diet: A Year-Round Guide to Growing Organic Food (2010) Carolyn Herriott, Harbour Publishing BC
Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture 2nd ed. (2009) Toby Hemenway, Chelsea Green Publishing USA.
The Pruning Book (2010) Lee Reich, The Taunton Press USA